This brinjal pickle recipe is from my aunt. It turns out pretty good and it disappears in no time at all. A big favourite in the family. You might also be interested in this brinjal pickle recipe.
1 bottle sweet oil
5 lbs. brinjal – cut into pieces and sprinkled with salt.
8 bits of turmeric about 2” each.
2 level tbspns methi
2 level tbspns mustard
7 big pods of garlic
6 tbspns geera
3 heaped Milkmaid tins sugar (1 lb. 12 oz or approx. 750 gms)
113 red Kashmiri chillies
- Roast mustard seeds on tawa and then the methi and geera and husk them.
- Grind the Kashmiri chillies,turmeric and garlic to a paste using sufficient vinegar.
- Boil sugar with water till it reaches a thread-like consistency.
- Then add one bottle of sweet oil with curry leaves.
- Add the methi, mustard and geera and then the masala ground in vinegar.
- Lastly, add the brinjals cut into 1" cubes.
- Add little salt and vinegar if necessary.
- Allow to cook on a slow fire until brinjal is cooked.